Thursday, January 8, 2009

Divine Delay

Have you ever heard of the expression Divine Delay? It's when you are delayed or made late for something only to discover that you were spared a catastrophe had you been there a minute sooner?

I can't remember when I first heard this expression but I know it when I see it. This morning, I had to get up early to pick up a friend at 5:30am and take him to the airport. Once at the airport, we were held up by traffic and people parking their cars in the moving lane. Annoying everyone else trying to pull over to the curb and drop off passengers.

After finally dropping my friend off, I headed back home. When I got to the intersection of Innis and Westerville road, I came upon a three car accident that had just happened. All three vehicles were either large SUVs or pick up trucks. That is one accident where, if I had been involved in it, would have surely come out on the loosing side of in my compact car.

Suddenly, I was much less annoyed at the traffic jam at the airport. I was divinely Delayed. I am grateful.

1 comment:

KCB said...

Wow, you were lucky indeed. I'd never heard that phrase but I like it.